Friday, August 28, 2009

Inviting the Queen of Sheba


I invited the Queen of Sheba to a potluck tonight.

She was reborn in my tiny kitchen this afternoon; born of fresh ingredients, a little effort and concentration, and the explicit instructions of Julia Child. After seeing the oh-so-inspiring movie Julie & Julia, my friend Audrey invited a few food-loving friends to a "Julie & Julia potluck".

I borrowed my mom's authentic 1974 Julia Child cookbook, The French Chef's Cookbook, bought all (well almost all) of the ingredients... I couldn't justify spending $12 on 2 ingredients which would have come to a total quantity of a 1/2 teaspoon, so I got "a scant 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar" and 1/4 tsp almond extract from my mom's kitchen - thank you Mom!) ...went home, put on my pearls, and began to cook. It is the first time in a long time I have read the directions (and followed them) so carefully. It turned out really well.

The cake, as you can see in the picture, doesn't look like the fanciest of cakes.
It isn't, in fact.
I mean, it looks good. If it were put down in front of me I would say thank you and certainly have a bite. And I would be SO surprised by it. I wouldn't have known what hit me. I mean, it tastes like what the big 4 layer, chocolate ganache-filled cakes in a fancy bakery should ( but often do not) taste like.

It might look like a one layer cake.
It IS a one layer cake, but it is not missing anything.
It is not short a second layer.
It doesn't require a smear of icing in the middle.

It is the perfect PERFECT chocolate cake.

It is so fine. So fine and smooth a texture. SO FINE! It has to be experienced to know how fine it is. Its a gives the feeling of being dense, but is not heavy. It melts in your mouth, leaving a strong and pure chocolate flavour in its tracks. It was unbelievable.

I know it might be seen as rude, and to be fair I did leave half of the remaining cake at Audrey's for her to enjoy tomorrow,

...but I did take the other half of the remainder home... placed it on a plate fit for a queen, a pink and gold throne for her to sit on in the fridge until we meet again.

Tomorrow I hope to introduce her to my mother, perhaps over a cup of tea. Mmmmmm.

Thank you Julia Child, for the best chocolate cake recipe I have ever made. And a huge thank you to Audrey for having such a wonderful party!!

What a delight!

1 comment:

URBAN GYPSY said...

amen to all that
it was the finest chocolate cake ever