Tuesday, February 02, 2010

A Fresh Take on Gingerbread Folk

Right around Christmas, I had the desire to make some gingerbread... the kind like mom used to make. It was dark, dark brown, and rich with molasses, cloves and ginger. I was hopeful that I would find a cookie cutter in the shape of a gingerbread man; simple and classic. Gillian and I went from store to store looking, with no luck, for said cutter. I have a couple of them (at least) but as everything was in the storage locker in preparation for my move to Vancouver, I was not able to get at them without a huge amount of unpacking. Finally, Gillian emerged from Plenty (a most beautiful Epicurean Pantry) with a big smile on her face.

"They have BEES!! And DRAGONFLIES!!! And an ANGEL!! They're really nice!"

Yeah, I thought, but no gingerbread man. How Christmassy are bees and dragonflies, anyways? So off we headed, back to her place to make Christmas bug cookies. And some angels. On the way home, Gillian started on about how I should make a Venus of Willendorf cookie cutter, and then gingerbread Venuses. I was resistant at first, but some brass and some cutters, and about 10 minutes of bending and twisting, and a coupleof hours of mixing, rolling, baking, and icing later... and the girls were looking pretty saucy!

Who says a chubby girl shouldn't wear a bikini or a tutu anyways? These ones are particularly enjoying themselves...



...and terribly delicious to boot!

2 comments:

URBAN GYPSY said...

welcome back
those girls tasted good too

kenflett said...

what a delicious post :)